38 people like it thumbs up
15 people dislike it thumbs up

Yale Keyfree Keyless Door Lock

Posted on May 12, 2010
Category:

Keeping your home more secure nowadays often relies on using the most recent technology in home security. Even the usual door locks may not usually work that effectively to keep your home more secure. Current options available fr you might be using the Yale Keyfree Keyless Door Lock.

The Yale Keyless Door Lock is unlike the usual thing that ordinary homes are equipped with. It makes use of advanced technology to provide added security to the main entrance of your home. Its features include fake PIN recognition, remote locking for up to 15 meters away, voice alerts as well as creation of multiple codes.

The Yale Keyfree Keyless Door Lock also features better security measures such as triple locking points for a more secured door. The system also features an alarmed keypad that can activate an 80 decibel sound alarm if the keypad lock is cracked or if the wires are being cut. The Yale Keyfree Keyless Door Lock is available at Yale Door for around 284 UK pounds. That is around US$420.

Image Source: Yale Door

Comments

I had a Yale Keyfree locking system fitted to my new front door in early April. I love it! I cannot believe how much of a difference it has made to not have to keep remembering to take the key when i take the dog for a walk or pop out to see friends. In fact every time i go out! Coming in is so simple. When i arrive home in the car i used my remote that is on my car keys. When i'm not in the car i just enter my PIN & open the door that way. My husband always just uses the PIN number. I had lost count how many times he had locked himself out over the years & called me out of work or woke me up knocking the door to let him in but those days are now a thing of the past. At 1st i was a little concerned about what security it offered but i took the time to learn about this product before purchasing & discovered that it still provided locking points from the top of the door to the bottom. Just like the multi point lock i had on my old PVC door. Keyfree is so simple to set up & use. For a couple of weeks i kept the voice working but have now switched over to silent operation. What i really like is that when i go out or go to bed all i have to do is lift the handle up to fully lock the door. Even though i have it set to silent operation it still tells me the door is securely locked. This bit i really like a lot. It's not at all loud and lasts for a second or 2. For total peace of mind this is not a problem at all. Smart thinking from Yale to keep this feature working. I have 2 young nieces that visit quite often. Another great feature of keyfree is that they cannot open the front door unless i do it for them. Before with the old door i had to make sure i locked it to stop them from opening the front door & trying to go out the front & play. Keyfree has a safety button build into the handle lever which they cannot operate. For family & friends it's so simple to use. Just push your thumb on the button & press the handle down. The button is neatly build into the handle & so simple to operate. I am now totally converted and would never want to go back to the old ways to searching my bag for my key. Keyfree from Yale really is a great product. As for my husband? He's getting a bit old now to be fetching the ladders & trying to fit through one of the upstairs windows. Family, neighbours & friends love it too! At 1st they thought the fact it speaks was a bit strange but they now all want one.
Trudy on May 31, 2012 at 7:06 pm
I've had a key free lock for 6 months and there are 2 big issues with it: 1. Silent mode is not silent. It still says:"door securely locked" everytime you lock the door, and it says "time expired" if you leave the door open for less than a minute. I dont think the designers understand the word silent! I'm so embarrassed about my loud talking door that this is enough for me to want to remove this expensive piece of kit. All yale need to do to sort this out is make silent more silent! 2. Exiting the door is not as simple as pressing the door handle down. There is a hidden thumb button you need to depress first which is very discreet and stiff. As a result most friends who try to leave the house cant until they are shown what to do. In the event of a fire people unfamiliar with this lock will burn to death! This is seriously unsafe! I've emailed Yale and so far no response. I strongly recommend reading more about this lock before purchasing!
Yan on May 14, 2012 at 2:09 pm
As an update to my comment on August 9th I am now happen to say that both of my locks have been fitted. Apparently the problems with our front door were associated with the preparation of the door. A bit of 'adjustment' by the door fitters under the careful eye of the Yale engineer sorted the teething problems out and we are now looking forward to many years of trouble free use.
Andrew on August 22, 2010 at 6:52 pm
The Keyfree product is regularly tested to 200,000 cycles. A cycle is entering your pin, depressing the lever then locking the door. If you think that on average the lock will be used roughly 10 times a day the one year warranty should not be a consideration. The warranty of 1 year is in line with similar other "everyday" electronic products you can purchase. Regarding the handle being "live" on the inside it is a safety feature......consider the risk posed if the door is deadlocked and the electronics failed during a fire? Secondly the glass sold on doors where the Keyfree is fitted is toughened double glazed glass and is extremely difficult to break. It is well known that most burglars don’t run the risk of leaving DNA behind or making so much noise breaking double glazed toughened glass alerting neighbours. All Keyfree handles come with a letter plate restrictor that stops any risk of someone fishing through the letter box. If however this is still a concern you can always get the letter box fitted at the bottom of your door (or not at all). Finally another feature on the Keyfree handle allows you to put an 80 dcbl alarm on the inside lever. This will sound if the inside lever is depressed.
Matt on August 20, 2010 at 11:21 am
I have answered my question. I have found this info on there website A6. Keyfree is designed to be secure and has the Secured by Design recognition, a UK police initiative for safer homes. Some homeowners may also wish to add a door chain or letterbox protector, both of which are readily available through your professional door installer. *****One feature of the Keyfree lock is that it does not ‘deadlock’ from the inside, in other words the door can be opened from the inside at any time by pressing the handle.******** This provides for a swift exit from the property in the event of fire or other emergency. Ok here’s my point, I suggest if you have any windows nearby door then think again getting this lock fitted! Unless someone wants to correct me, there is no keyhole or pad internally (only externally) , which means handle down and door opens . Secure by design is misleading as lock is easily identifiable and then one needs a side panel window close to door where its possible to break glass and use some method to pull handle down . Once word gets out , your property will be an easy target! Lock is ideal for doorways where this is not possible..
T_T26 on August 14, 2010 at 11:32 pm
Hi, i'm thinking about getting this lock as it looks like a new breakthrough but have a few doubts and would like to know if You guys recommend it seeing that you have properly tested it, in the field! I have noticed it broke down a few times on you and you were still unable to get it with the key - what happens when your 1 years warranty runs out & you cant open it with the Key? Scary! The yalekeyfree website doesn't really answer my question.... Also, can you guys tell me, when you leave your property and door locks from the outside would it be possible for someone to break through a side window next to your door and able to push handle down to open the door? Or even worse get through the letter box with some tool - is this possible? There website lacks info. I need to find this out before buying! Thanks, any feedback would be appreciated
T_T26 on August 14, 2010 at 9:19 pm
Just had one of these door / lock combos fitted and have suffered exactly the same problem as Richard on 13/06. Fortunately the other unit that was due to be fitted failed before it too prevented access to my home. Hope that Yale sort this out promptly as it looks to be a really good design.
Andrew on August 9, 2010 at 6:40 pm
I had a key free on my Yale door about three months ago and it has done exactly what it was supposed to. As Richard said it is crammed full of features that aren’t mentioned. I generally don’t use the key fob, I use the keypad – it is quite shocking how liberating it is to not have to take a key out with me!
Jeune on June 17, 2010 at 8:19 pm
The issue was reported to Yale Monday morning. A Yale Keyfree engineer attended the above issue on Wednesday AM (within 48 hours) and resolved the issue. The nature of the design means that the lock will always be able to be locked on the inside of your property thus keeping your property secure. This is the only case in the 6 months we have been marketing Keyfree where we have had a field issue. Our prompt response to resolving the issues shows our commitment of producing first class customer service.
Matt on June 17, 2010 at 10:15 am
Hmmm - had one of these fitted on Friday (with a new door as well). It is fantastic with loads of features. However on Saturday night (after the football - boo hoo!) it failed in it's primary role - i.e. the ability to lock and open. Could not get into the house - either via remote fobs, either set of key ids or emergency key. Luckily, in the rush to get over to the neighbours, had left another one of the 7 doors open! Moral of the story - don't fit this unless you can get into your property via another route! With Yale / their Partner Evander to resolve now.
Richard Jones on June 13, 2010 at 11:03 pm
For that much money I'd buy a touchscreen one.
Han on May 12, 2010 at 11:40 pm